The Haenertsburg village and Magoebaskloof area is located in the north-eastern escarpment section of the Drakensberg, originally made up of grasslands and mist belt forest.
The patches of forest have largely remained but the grasslands have been almost entirely planted to gum and pine trees and more recently avocado orchards.
Good birding can be found in areas in which the grassland or forest is largely intact.
Dap Naude Dam and Woodbush Birding Route Explanation. Click here to download a printed explanation of the route.
All enquiries, bookings and cancellations contact Poppie on 083 290 1962.
The history of HTA dates back to 1905-6 when enthusiastic locals first stocked the waters around Haenertsburg with trout. To give them some semblance of respectability, they decided to become the local branch of the Transvaal Trout Acclimatization Society based in Johannesburg. In 1911, the Johannesburg contingent suspended activities and informed the local Haenertsburg branch that they would have to "go it alone" if they wanted to keep functioning.
A meeting was called on the 9th December 1911 at the Haenertsburg Hotel where the foundations for our present HTA were laid. Sir. Lionel Phillips was elected President and Mr. Stanford, Chairman. On the 9th January 1912, another meeting was held at which the name Haenertsburg Trout Society was adopted and the rules were drafted. Sometime during the next fifteen years, the name changed to the Haenertsburg Trout Association.
Popular fishing spots were Stanford Lake and the three waterfalls found below the Lake, the Broederstroom and the Helpmekaar rivers.
In 1940, the Helpmekaar river was dammed and Troutbeck Lake was formed (Lakeside). The wetlands surrounding Lakeside were proclaimed a Nature Reserve and placed under the care of HTA. In 1956, an agreement with the Pietersburg Municipality (now called Polokwane Muncipality) gave HTA control over the newly completed Swallow Falls Dam (Dap Naude). In 1966, the Association took over the lease of the Iron Crown Sailing Club facilities on Ebenezer Dam which then became our Club and Hatchery. We have, over the years, negotiated leases to many streams and dams in the mountains around Haenertsburg, the Bergplaas stretch of the Letaba River.
Facilities at the Club:
• Five Rondawels each with two beds and one double bunk with mattresses, table and four chairs, wash basin with cold running water.
• Ablution blocks with flush toilets and hot showers.
• Eight camping/caravan sites.
• Recreation area – Clubhouse.
• Deep freezers, tables and chairs in main clubhouse.
• Launching facilities for boats