A visitor to the area may purchase a permit for 1 rod for the day at R150 or for a week at R600. This will entitle that person to fish at Lakeside Dam.
The normal etiquette for Trout fishing will apply and only non-spinning Artificial lures may be used. The bag limit is two Rainbow only and the rest must be caught and released. No Brown trout may be bagged.
If in doubt please read the detailed rules when you book. Booking can be arranged at the Haenertsburg Liquor store with Poppie on 083 290 1962.
A non-member permit will be issued and must be kept for display to any HTA member requesting sight of it. A map with the position of the dam will be available when the booking is made.
NO SPINNERS OR ARTIFICIAL LURES ALLOWED ON ANY WATERS EXCEPT EBENEZER DAM. All venues: no fires, no camping, please take litter out. Fly fishing equipment only. Lock all gates. Please make sure to read the information signs at each venue as the rules change from time to time.
All enquiries, bookings and cancellations contact Poppie on 083 290 1962.
The history of HTA dates back to 1905-6 when enthusiastic locals first stocked the waters around Haenertsburg with trout. To give them some semblance of respectability, they decided to become the local branch of the Transvaal Trout Acclimatization Society based in Johannesburg. In 1911, the Johannesburg contingent suspended activities and informed the local Haenertsburg branch that they would have to "go it alone" if they wanted to keep functioning.
A meeting was called on the 9th December 1911 at the Haenertsburg Hotel where the foundations for our present HTA were laid. Sir. Lionel Phillips was elected President and Mr. Stanford, Chairman. On the 9th January 1912, another meeting was held at which the name Haenertsburg Trout Society was adopted and the rules were drafted. Sometime during the next fifteen years, the name changed to the Haenertsburg Trout Association.
Popular fishing spots were Stanford Lake and the three waterfalls found below the Lake, the Broederstroom and the Helpmekaar rivers.
In 1940, the Helpmekaar river was dammed and Troutbeck Lake was formed (Lakeside). The wetlands surrounding Lakeside were proclaimed a Nature Reserve and placed under the care of HTA. In 1956, an agreement with the Pietersburg Municipality (now called Polokwane Muncipality) gave HTA control over the newly completed Swallow Falls Dam (Dap Naude). In 1966, the Association took over the lease of the Iron Crown Sailing Club facilities on Ebenezer Dam which then became our Club and Hatchery. We have, over the years, negotiated leases to many streams and dams in the mountains around Haenertsburg, the Bergplaas stretch of the Letaba River.
Facilities at the Club:
• Five Rondawels each with two beds and one double bunk with mattresses, table and four chairs, wash basin with cold running water.
• Ablution blocks with flush toilets and hot showers.
• Eight camping/caravan sites.
• Recreation area – Clubhouse.
• Deep freezers, tables and chairs in main clubhouse.
• Launching facilities for boats